Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Evolution of a Painting

I was struck with the beauty of some ponds near my home and began to start to paint them. This lead to going back and looking at Monet's work, and I developed an interest in water lilies as a subject. The nice greens of the lily pads along with the color of reflections in the water and the light yellow and purple lilies make them a painter's dream subject. So calm and placid too. So I did one or two water lily paintings about a year ago. Here is one of those paintings.


Then I started looking closer at the water lilies and painted this painting.



This last week I had the inspiration, that sounds pretty high-minded, so let's say I had the idea, to paint some of our goldfish from our backyard pond in a lily pad setting. So based on a photo I had taken I did this thumbnail sketch adding our goldfish who weren't in the photo.



I noticed while doing the sketch that I had created a spiral, which is a great compositional device.





Can you see the spiral in the first sketch? Well anyway I could.
So now I had everything in place, good reference, a good composition and I was ready to paint.

(NOTE: I don't always use photographs to create my paintings, sometimes it's plein air work etc. that leads to a painting. However, sometimes if you use them right a photo works just fine. Especially digital photos shown on a computer monitor which gives truer color than slides and the like.)

So I started painting. It was going good. I spent quite a bit of time capturing the lily in center of the painting and I liked how the fish were looking. I was on the path to success. But alas and alack, something was wrong. The lily which I had so carefully delineated was sticking out like a sore thumb, and the fish were overshadowed by the lily's grandstanding. So as much as it hurt, I wiped out the lily and repainted the area it was in. Now the fish were the main players just like I had originally intended and the quiet rhythmic spiral of repose was there.

Here is the finished painting, which I dedicate to one of our goldfish who is in the fish hospital, receiving medication  and I hope is on a healing path.


Three Fish
14" x 18"
Oil on Canvas

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Great post! The difference between good and great often means the removal of something we are emotionally invested it. Once, you taught me that and I have applied it many times since. It gets easier (and makes me braver) to know when to scrape and to fearlessly do so for the greater good (or the greater great). Beautiful paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mara, it is soooo difficult to scrape away some part of a painting that we worked hard on or feel looks great, but we are learning that sometimes for the greater good of the whole of the painting it has to be done. Someday when I am perfect :>) I will no longer make these kinds of compositional errors, but until then it's scrape away.
    Thanks for taking the tim eto comment on this post.

    ReplyDelete